Monday, January 21, 2008

Taco Night


I'm originally from Texas, so you can bet that the second I saw the recipe for the Baja-Style Grilled Tempeh Tacos (p. 96) it went straight to the top of my to-make list. I love Mexican food. I want to marry it. I actually bring salsa back to NYC with me every time I visit Texas, lovingly bubble-wrapped and stashed in my suitcase. Trust me, I've tried every possible brand of salsa available here, from your basic grocery store brands to the gourmet fancy shmancy stuff. It's worth importing, even if it means shlepping a super-heavy suitcase up my five flights of stairs.

These tacos are kind of time consuming, but only because everything has to be prepared ahead of time so it can marinate/chill/whatever coleslaw does for a while before you actually put these suckers together. So you can save yourself a lot of time by planning and accordingly: throw the coleslaw, lime crema, and tempeh marinade together, stick it all in the fridge, watch an episode or two of The Office or do a load of laundry, take a nap, go for a run, whatever. If you are an early riser (and I am most certianly NOT) you could even take about 30 minutes to do this before work in the morning.

I think I liked the individual components of this dish better than the final product. Everything together was just a little too.... vinegar-y or something. And I luuuv vinegar. I mean, give me a jar of dill pickles and I can do some serious damage. I added some avocado as garnish, which helped to cut the acidity, but I was still underwhelmed. I do like the suggestion to turn the components of this dish into a taco salad (sans slaw), and I think I'm going to throw the tempeh and the lime crema on top of some mixed greens, along with a little avocado and maybe even some corn, and take it for lunches this week.

No comments: